Serenity:
I guess the cat is out of the bag...yes, we visited a peaceful Buddhist temple today, but not until we had first seen a very grounded Saturday market in Seririt and a Hindu temple by Banjar. We made contact late yesterday with Ari and asked him to simply show us around the north coast (his home area) with special attention to a few of the above places of interest. We departed at 9:00 and didn't return until 17:00, a very full day! Off we went through the traffic and a million motor bikes to the market in Seririt...amazing and a little sobering at the same time.
I long ago discovered the pleasures of walking through markets in various parts of the world, and I continue to like nothing better. The Asian markets are the best in my experience so far as there are always amazing smells, people and colour! This market was no different...
The main market burned down some years ago for the second time and hasn't been replaced as the government feels that the fires were deliberately set for political reasons...did I mention that this is a developing country? As a result the conditions aren't the best...I saw rats and mice, plus a very successful cat!
A favorite image...
The market visit was followed with a long drive to the Brahma Vihara-Arama Buddhist temple. A pleasant way to spend some quiet time as we walked through the site...perhaps the photos will provide a sense of the tranquillity?
After this quiet interlude it was back out onto the streets...
However, the next stop was refreshing as we stopped at the hot springs at Banjar! These are ancient springs progressing from hot to warm to cool...suppose to be good for what ails you...I feel the same?
Somewhat refreshed we drove on...
to the Hindu temple which is over 500 years old and quite remarkable. There was a huge earthquake here in 1975 that destroyed the city and villages in the area...no damage to the temple...hmmm?
Ari 'gone deep'.
A special day that's about to get even better the next two days...Ari has invited us two local events. Ok time for a late dinner and a few hours sleep. We rise at 6:00 tomorrow...some resort!


























1 comment:
That temple is so beautiful--the pond with the lotuses....
Post a Comment