We came to Australia to see something of this ancient and beautiful country, but also to reconnect with 4 special people we met while walking our Caminos 18 months ago. As we planned this trip we wondered how it would go. Would we find the same friendship and connection experienced in Spain or would we sit around as strangers wondering when we could tactfully depart? Happily, in each case, it was the former. Our reconnection with Sarah and Neil was wonderful. Similarly our various gatherings with Peter and Dave and our introductions to their life partners Cathy and Denise were equally wonderful. The hospitality, generosity and comradery were well beyond our expectations. Simply put...brilliant.
In each case we hope that there will be a reunion down the road. That our time together is not done. Perhaps in Canada? We will be hard pressed to return the hospitality offered to us here...but we'll try our very best!!
We have travelled from south to north and part way back south again along the beautiful eastern coast of this country with an all too brief deviation into Canberra. We haven't been disappointed. At each stop we encountered and enjoyed the company of many locals, walked countless beaches and tracks, tasted the hearty local food and sipped many a local beverage. The scenery has been stunning...I have a few photos;-) Our life experiences enriched. The value of our journey, priceless. As so often kidded with Dave, we have gone 'deep' ;-)
Still sitting here in Maroochydore with Bali just on the horizon, Annemarie and I haven't yet had time to sit back and simply talk about our experiences. I'm sure that when we do, probably in Bali, that we may both have different highlights, but I suspect that our favorite experiences will be those that we shared with others. Our bush walks with Sarah and Neil, the day spent with Julie in Hobart, the morning walks in Maroochydore followed by pounding our bodies in the surf, the outings around Melbourne, the noon time schooners I enjoyed with Dave and Peter, our many meals and two bottle nights...the list is endless. I will be interested in hearing Annemarie's highlights, but I'm pretty sure they will be headed by similar experiences with our friends.
On the topic of experiences, I think that for me (sans activities with our friends) my favourite was the Great Ocean Track...how can one not like a good long walk!? This to be closely followed by our day on the Great Barrier Reef, and the excursion into the Queensland rainforest. I'm well satisfied...
Then of course there were the animals we saw here. I have a pretty cool collection of colourful feathers picked up while walking the many tracks during our wanderings. The bird life was always remarkable and entertaining. Truly I'm having a taste of a "Big Year"!
Of course there were the Kangaroos! Their speed and presence was something special.
I was surprised and pleased to hear just how much the people we met along the way really have a very soft spot for these creatures. I'd often read how they were brutally hunted, but I've been redirected in my understanding. There is a real fondness for these animals here.
The list of the other animals from snakes to echidnas to crocs, to koalas and our sightings of these creatures was amazing. I know our Aussie friends all want to see our bears, moose, eagles and beavers...I guess it's what you know....it's all relative.
Now it's very early morning in Brisbane and I'm sitting in bed trying to finish this before we get up at 5:30 to find our way to the airport. We are off to Bali today, a 6+ hour flight. Flight stage 9 on this journey! I won't have time to proof this post, but hope all names have been correctly spelled, etc. The auto correct sometimes does odd things! Bon Voyage to Australia...I wonder what lies ahead in Bali? Always new horizons to discover...never happier than when I'm looking to see what's just around the next corner!
We will return here one day...















No comments:
Post a Comment