Thursday, April 23, 2015

Same Place, Same Day Part 3: a massive rain storm, now comes the lightening & thunder!!

Third time lucky?

Ari found us a good place for lunch where we feasted on spicy nasi goreng before walking way down to see the falls...
It was a place I could have sat for several hours, very meditative.  However, we had places to go and Ari's mother was making  him his favorite meal that night, so we pressed onwards. This would be a poinsettia tree...who knew?
Poor guy. He had no idea he had to climb all the way back up with a couple of serious hikers. Probably didn't help when Annemarie suggested to him that she rested when she was tired...and he's not even 30! A bit of the trail scenery...
Off we climbed and descended. Through the terraced rice fields...great views!

Ari has promised to take us to the best terraces on our trip to Unud next week, around Jatiluwih. I've heard that most guides don't go there as it's less direct, so feel fortunate. Lots of very young kids coming and going to school...on motor bikes no less...notice the satellite dishes...all pointed almost vertically as we are almost on the equator here.
I had expressed some interest in seeing the birds here and Ari told me that his cousin had birds and that we would drop by. I think we thought he was kidding, but we sped through the narrow one lane back roads known only to locals. He took us through his town area where his family has lived and farmed for generations...very cool!
Ari on the left...his cousin beside him is the town mayor.
I've promised to send these photos and will do so today. His village and a few more local rice fields.



All in all, a simply amazing day. My mind was so active that I stayed up quite late just thinking through what I'd seen. Next time I'll write about the village here. A break in the rain and a chance to publish this then run for our 'shack'!

No comments:


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova