I've spent a bit of my time probably annoying a few locals as I poked around the local fishing village. A fascinating experience made all the easier with a few well timed smiles and friendly gestures. The locals really are very nice and extremely tolerant. I saw no other nosy travellers sticking their cameras where they weren't welcome so that probably helped;-)
As we walked down the beach we soon came across the village where there are simple homes, many nets and the usual fishing type stuff.
Some of the boats were traditional and without seeing them operating it takes a bit of imagination...I still haven't figured this one out?
Later in the day before sundown I enjoyed the simple pleasure of watching the village bringing in the day's catch. Everyone gets involved securing the boats and then gathering up the fish with the ladies bringing the baskets that they make down to collect the catch and then carrying them away on their heads for processing.
See...I'm quietly sneaky as I take some of my photos...other times, right there in person. The boats as they come in...
It's a very social time of joking, laughter and perhaps a bit of satisfaction after a long day.
Then the process gets really exciting!
Exciting times...I'll be eating some of these tonight! I was chatting with some of the restaurant staff who confirmed that the fish come straight from these boats to their kitchen and onto my plate. Can't get much simpler!
In all, a simple time honoured tradition passed on from generation to generation. A treasure to watch and enjoy as I think this way of life will change as tourism truly discovesr this area. We saw this to the east in Lovina where tourism as a stronger hold than here in Pemuteran.
We have received some special invitations during the next few days that we understand are not typical for visitors. "Why us", we ask? Not sure why, but we are certainly open to new experiences and this whole trip has been one new experience after another! We are looking forward to these events and will report what we see and learn.

















No comments:
Post a Comment