So here I sit. Foot up, ice pack on and very little happening on the good ship "Feniks".
We caught the high speed train very early this morning as we were offered a reduced fare. So being the thrifty travellers that we are, we accepted. A 4.5 hour ride through the dark, heavy clouds and rain brought us to Paris before lunch. A couple of rides later on the Metro and we were standing at the Metro exit looking it at a rain deluge. Out came Margerita and Sangria and we walked on to find our boat, our home of the next 2 weeks.
It appears that there will be 15 souls aboard and a fairly quiet lot they seem. I guess time will tell. Certainly first impressions would suggest that the bike rides won't be at speed, but perhaps for most quite leisurely. Most booked their passage over a year ago, and we're surprised to here that we had just made our arrangements yesterday. We still have little idea what route we take to Brugge, but I'm sure that at some point we will be told. All in good time!
After dropping a gear and getting stowed away we headed off into the heavy rains to find lunch and. Hot chocolate to warm up. On to visit Sainte Chapelle Catherdral that our art history type daughter had encouraged us to see. Quite amazing! You were right Erin! Amazing stain glass windows...walls of them! Perhaps the best display I've ever seen.
As I last said, not very sure what wifi we will have. I'm standing outside the Port Authority building borrowing their wifi to post this. Not much new news, except to thank all those folks who have sent messages of support about the ending of the walk. All is well...I have ice packs and the walking in Paris today went well. Looking forward to climbing on to a bike and seeing how that goes. Hoping for sun, but a tropical storm that will brush the east coast of Canada is scheduled to rush across the Atlantic and join up with a heavy low here. Flood warnings are already posted. Our chances of staying dry are about nil! Those will be the days that I say my leg hurts and I have to stay aboard!!
Hope all is well where you are.
Bon Bateau!












4 comments:
Hi Geoff and Annemarie. Glad to hear that you have arrived in Paris and have boarded the barge. Looks as though you will have pretty comfortable digs for the next 2 weeks and providing there is good food, good wine and good company a bit of rainfall won't bother too much!! A good healing period too. Thanks Erin for suggesting your mom and dad visit Sainte Chappelle Cathedral. What a stunning display of stain glass windows -also a real engineering feat as I look at the stone columns and roof supports. Makes a person wonder how they were able to construct such an edifice.
All is well in Victoria. Lovely and sunny this morning.(sorry about the latter comment)
Cheers Dad
Beautiful photos of stained glass--what a space!
Alright, I think you know my usual opinion on the churches, but stained glass is the one part I like and that is AMAZING! Very cool! Have a great trip...Beautiful day here in Vancouver as well..strange as you always say it rains here dad? Alas, a wasted day of sun as I will be studying...comparatively every day on the road is a good day! Lots of love, Cait
Hey Geoff and Annemarie
Glad you made it to Paris without incident. I thought Autumn was supposed to be the settled weather time in Western Europe but from what you are saying about the weather and our experience a couple of years ago walking across Spain it seems pretty damp! Some of your Paris photos resonated with ones Sarah took in June - the Ste Chapelle ceiling and windows, and the view of buildings along the Seine. Such a lovely city, but perhaps much like any other city when it's pouring with rain! Still, as Caitlin says, 'every day on the road is a good day'.
Your barge companions sound perhaps less adventurous than pilgrim types - but there's usually surprising dimensions that emerge over time, and I guess the advantage of this kind of trip is that there is time for stories to be shared, as well as to go off on your own adventures as you ride along. Still feels like you are adjusting to the change ... and no wonder ... so go easy on yourselves with that.
Meanwhile, as you say in your impeccable French,
bon bateau!!!
Neil and Sarah
Post a Comment