Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Paris to D'Auvers Sur-Oise: cloud, rain in heavy cells, wind, sun too, 33kms, 18

It's Getting Better!

So we are on this bike and barge thing...right? How is it that almost half the folks in our group of 14 have no idea how to ride and aren't in condition to ride? Even the guide is scratching his head as the slower members push their bikes up minor slopes and take forever to ride anywhere. Perhaps I'm being a bit critical, but if I was going to pay a bunch of money to ride a bike from a floating platform, then I'd be ready to go! Our 60km ride today was accordingly reduced to 33kms. With the blessing of the leader, Annemarie and I rode off on our own after the first 5kms and the group arrived an hour later,  and the boat was ready to move on. Now this isn't really a big deal...but I'm just wondering a bit. We have spoken with the owner and he told me that the last guide stole all the maps when he departed because the guide's girl friend wasn't allowed to live on board too. I'm not kidding...life on the road! So each morning we can get our own photocopy map and head off on our own. I'll leave the other cyclists to sort this out for themselves. I'm not the tour leader!

As I said, we are 14...11 women and 3 guys. Seems a bit out of balance doesn't it. We headed off this morning ducking rain cells. Sometimes getting caught, other times finding ourselves nimble enough to miss it. I pulled over for a nice sight early on.
We rode up to the chateau at St. Germaine-en-Laye...very nice from the outside. 
Never saw the inside..
We've seen quite a few over the years and they tend to run together over the years...so we went for hot chocolate and took care of some business in town. A nice alternative on a cold day!
Then we were off for a ride together. 
Found a nice view back towards Paris. See Caitlin...I figured out how to do it!
That's the Eiffel Tower on the right.
And we took our simple little map and road the trails in the generally right direction, asking for help from strangers as needed. 
Some how we managed to find our way to the boat, that bateau to the French! 
And the rest of the riders came in an hour later...we got the hot showers! One learns a little on Camino. First in gets the hot water!
Once we were all aboard it was up River into the heavy winds. I was invited by the skipper to the wheel house...she likes that we know a little Dutch and have a very nice family there:-). We are on a Dutch vessel. 
And we were off yet again!
A few interesting sites and a big lock.


Lying on my back stretching out. Leg is ok after 12kms yesterday and nice ride today. A little ice and I'm off again. Neil and Sarah, you were right, I did need that walk yesterday.
We will enter a nice town tonight to wander around. If anything interesting I'll let you know.

Addendum
Last evening befor dark we walked into town. This was a special occasion for us.
This is where Vincent Van Goute and his brother who supported him through his short 37 years were laid to rest. 
I've been in awe of his talent since I was quite young. There is something special in both his short life story and his work. He never sold a single painting in his short productive life. A sad tale. Joy for so many.
It was the strangest thing as I walked up the hill to the cemetery. I couldn't shake Don McLean's "Starry, Starry Night" out of my head, and honestly I didn't really try very hard to do so. It seemed appropriate.
Vincent painted some 90 odd paintings in D'Auvers Sur-Oise and there is a marker for each one, where they were painted. They haven't ever rented out the room in town where Vincent passed away.
As we walked along the skies opened up and lightning flashed across the sky. It was extremely dramatic and beautiful.
We passed places where he had painted...it was very amazing and a little spooky at the same time.
The sky was a delight...
The sky's opened...
Annemarie and I took shelter in the town church...
Then wandered back to the boat together. Look at the light in this picture. I have seen this exact light in many famous Dutch paintings over my travels. Thoughts Erin?

Bon Velo!


2 comments:

Neil Millar said...

Hi Annemarie and Geoff

What a day you had! A stage victory in the Tour de France, a commune with Vincent, a stint in the wheelhouse, and singing in the rain (well, not sure about the singing - perhaps 'sprinting' is more accurate!). It sounds like you've joined an interesting set-up, complete with intrigue and a degree of dodderiness. It's a good thing the Camino has taught you adaptability, and you're certainly showing your capacity to make the best of things.

Today is the day we started walking out of St Jean two years ago, so we're reminiscing. What a day that was too.

Thanks for continuing to share your journey. We have the sense that it has more twists, turns and surprises yet to come!

Bon bateau et vélo

Neil and Sarah

Ken Wilson said...

Yes, as Neil says, quite a day! One adventure has turned into something very different.

I like the photo of the red pedestrian bridge--I think that's what it is.


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova