Thursday, September 24, 2015

Ghent: Cool grey day, 16, but sun is on the way tomorrow!

Wandering Ghent:

A beautiful small city. Put this place on your travel list. It doesn't have the mass tourism that we will find tomorrow in Bruge...yes these is some, for sure. Not as busy and there are canals and lots of funky bars, bistros and restaurants. You can be as involved in the tourist scene as you want...or as we have done and stay to the edges with forays into the centre. The beer is just as good on the edge, but cheaper!
A university town with school having just moved back into session, just like at home. Students on bikes everywhere.
Old churches and buildings everywhere we walk. We are on a day off here with time away from the group and the opportunity to just walk...and walk.
We feel very at home here after our travels into Holland. We don't feel rushed to see the sites. They are really secondary to the experience of just wandering and relaxing in small shops and coffee houses. How our travel experience has evolved over the years. Even though there are lots of building shots posted here, these were all taken in about half an hour. Not sure if I'm making my point. I guess the best way to describe it is that we've learned on our walks to arrive, have a brief look around and then to kind of settle in...see what's going on.

Caitlin, close your eyes! I sat in here for two hours just writing yesterday. A major concert was planned last night, sold out, so they eventually booted me out into the cold! But what a nice two hours that was. Quiet, peaceful and time to think about this journey. The ups and downs and the wherefores and the whys. 

Erin, the Mystic Lamb art exhibit was in this church as they restore the work. Sorry no photos allowed, but you could Google it. Add on: Erin, we just received your email. Ok we will go see it now as I remember where I saw it when you said the Nazis stole it in WWII. I think it was the peice they rescued in the recent movie about retreiving the stolen art at the end of the war, "Monuments Men". I really liked that movie and it was one of the final peices they recovered before the Russians arrived into that part of Germany. Later to become Eastern Germany of course. Great! It looked so familiar when I saw the images! I'll post a photo later. Thanks! I'll try to see it with your eyes.
Annemarie chose to stay on the boat yesterday, but she eventually turned up and found first my bike where I had parked it earlier in the day...then she found me too!


We ride to Bruge tomorrow then will train to Brussels Saturday morning to possibly meet with Peter and family (from Maastricht) on Saturday for lunch before Annemarie trains south to Paris Sunday for her Monday flight. I'm still sorting out flights and dates, but expect to return home to a welcome change of clothes 3-4 days later....unless I receive a better offer;-) I've already had an employment offer next season as a bike guide on the barge from the owner. I guess he figured that if we could find our way back to the barge in one peice each day that we had passed the audition! Something to consider. A trip to Europe to do something I enjoy and to get paid for it too! Then meet Annemarie and go for a nice long walk in Portugal. Hmmmmm?

Bon Belgium Beir!!! Seems to have struck a nerve with a few folks;-)


4 comments:

Ken Wilson said...

Congrats on the two hours of peace and quiet in the cathedral. I used to sit in one of the chapels on campus sometimes just to breathe in the atmosphere.

Is that a Quebec flag? Did you accidentally take a picture of a little bit of Canada?



Neil Millar said...

Ghent looks like a great city and you sound like you have found just the right way to be there. So the adventure is drawing to a close, a time for reflection and gratitude. We hope these final days bring it to a good closure. What a journey it's been. Strange twists and turns and a final destination that you hadn't dreamed of at the beginning. It must be satisfying to know you are still employable and have a new career being offered to you!

I'm heading away to lead a retreat this weekend so will be off line for a few days. Sarah may be able to connect Sunday but we wish Annemarie well as she begins to turn for home. It's been nice to be able to follow you both along this walk and watery way.

Will be in touch. In the meantime, may the sun shine and bon bateau

Neil and Sarah

Ken Wilson said...

A walk in Portugal? I was thinking about that for next summer myself.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that we managed to spend some time together. It was great seeing you again!
Pieter and family


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova