Sunday, October 6, 2019

South America Bound!

Kicking Off in Five Days:



Time to take on some travel-travel for a while and sample an area of the world that we have long wanted to visit. We have about 6 weeks which will see visits into southern Brazil (Iguacu Falls), Buenos Aires, the northern Salta region of Argentina and a 4x4 foray into southern Bolivia. We will then have a brief visit in northern Chile followed by a few days in Santiago and then a week of driving and trekking in the Lakes District of Chile north of Puerto Montt.

In Puerto Montt we will board a working cargo ferry for a 4 day rest (hopefully!) while floating southward on open seas and through some very inaccessible areas of Chile to Puerto Natales where we plan to trek into the spectacular Torres del Paine National Park. From there it's back into Southern Argentina to trek in the Los Glaciers National Park then finishing up our trip further south in Punta Arenas where we hope to have a pleasant visit with the inhabitants of the penguin colonies before transiting northward to Santiago and home.

Clearly there are more than a few moving parts! It will likely be a small miracle if things come off as planned with travel in the Developing World never quite assured. However, we are pretty confident that somehow things will come together. While there are planned pieces on this journey, we have also left some sections wide open for hopefully some more spontaneous experiences.

As we head into Fall in the Northern Hemisphere, it's the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere with the very early stages of Spring just getting underway. In order to keep ourselves as reasonably warm as possible we have planned our route to arrive in the southern portions of Chile and Argentina in mid to late November hoping to avoid some of the nasty storms that can nail this area. We shall see. We understand that a heat wave is expected at the start of our trip with temperatures of 38 expected. Let's hope not!

I will post here when I have the opportunity/time to do so (and wifi) and when we trek I'll post on my walking blog;  http://caminotime.blogspot.com/

We are excited to again take our travel packs and get underway, but first all the mundane home front things need to be completed. Just six more sleeps!!

Geoff

2 comments:

John and Cordula said...

Have a great trip, it sounds wonderful, cannot wait to see the pics, iguasu is very very wet! My camera lasted 2 shots then I used the phone, so make sure you're waterproof.

Geoff and Annemarie said...

Thanks John. I wondered about my camera at the falls. Guess I'll just have to treat it with the same care that I use when on camino. I'm not taking my phone, so I'll be really careful!! Thanks for your thoughts about a couple of sections of this traVEL. Should be loads of fun!


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova