We were up really stupid early to see the sun rise and with breakfast behind us, showered and ready to go exploring for another day I find myself with a few minutes to post about the last few hours. A shot or two of our salt hotel. Built of blocks of salt from the north end of the flats where it’s structurally stronger. Also free salt chunks on the floors. Cleaning this place would be a nightmare and I’m sure it is.
The sunset last night was quite an amazing experience. While the sun set was pretty good, for me it was more about what was going on around us that was really interesting. You have a sky open to you with just a flat horizon in all directions so essentially you are looking up at half a full circle. Guess that’s a half circle then; ) As we drove out to the salt flats and then when we stood on them it felt like winter at home, about 3°, but most strangely the salt crunched like crisp snow underfoot! Furthermore it looked for all the world like a huge frozen lake and one could stop and drill a hole in the ice and start fishing. We tried to explain this to Edwin and Nancy and I think they understood, but of course they had no idea what that felt like.
The sunset!
We drove back to our hotel and had a good dinner and as the clock was moving towards 10:00 Edwin and Nancy picked us up and off we went yet again into the salt flats. Light from the headlights as we drove.
The sky was amazing! Unfortunately I have no photos to share. While my camera was up to the challenge, I needed a tripod to complete the task. But no fear. Edwin had set up a small table and chairs complete with a candle and most importantly a nice bottle of red Bolivian wine!
Edwin had a star app on his phone and we spent an hour looking at the stars all bundled up and sipping wine.
It was an astonishing experience. The stars of the Southern Hemisphere have it all over the northern stars. The Milky Way is like a streaming beacon of light across the sky and one senses the smallness of self. Truly humbling and at the same time inspiring. We were dropped off at the hotel with promises to meet this morning at 5:30.
As agreed we met, no Nancy, but no doubt she was up preparing our lunch for today. So spoiled!!
Looking to the west. 0°.
A self portrait, Camino style.
No doubt we will see some unusual sites today, things I can only imagine. Time to wrap this up and post. Not sure about wifi the next few days, but we are well and in good company.
3 comments:
So, it's sodium chloride? Or another salt? Don't spill any water on the floor!
I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of a building made of salt. Obviously it rarely rains there, although I think I'm seeing evaporation marks on the salt flats.
You are seeing incredible things.
Ken
Quite amazing to view the Salt Flats in the early morning light. I was wondering how the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah might compare in size and Google says that Bonneville is about 30,000 acre - just a small "blob" in comparison to the area you will be traversing It looks as though you have hired a couple of good people to guide you through that remote part of the world and we shall wait for your next chapter and pictures - part of our daily routine with morning coffee.
Take care
Mom and Dad
So glad you got to experience this wonder. I know it was on your list. Once gain, some amazing photos.What an amazing planet we live in. We're off on retreat the next few days and out of email range but look forward to checking in again on our return. May the adventure continue. Best, Neil and Sarah
Post a Comment