Monday, September 11, 2017

Naxos Island, Greece: Hot, Sunny with haze, Very Humid, 31

Happy Again!

Last night I thought my blog was cooked and done for the trip. I was having all sorts of problems and then when I deleted the app and reloaded as I have done successfully in the past, the darn Google people sent me all sorts of dumb messages that I couldn't understand. Long and short of it, I couldn't complete my blog in the normal manner and I wondered if I was done. I tried one last time this evening and damned if it didn't work! So I'm happy again! 

Today was a day spent wandering through the back areas of a Venetian Castle in the main town. But before I go on with that, have a look at the amazing sunset last night!

We sat drinking this allin...along with a few cold beers and appies!  Doesn't she look lovely?!

We watched as the sun set over distant Paros Island. What a moment to share together!

We took a few moments while sitting at the bar to witness a beautiful sunset wedding held on the beach...

Then off into the dark to find a certain restaurant where we sat at tables in the sand on the beach and had quite the meal of grilled calamari...one of my favourites. 



So much food! They even exchanged the dumb French fries for real oven roasted Greek potatoes and gave us the recipe. Paul, they use Guinness! 

Today up a bit slowly as breakfast is part of the deal at this small hotel, and then into town on the bus to have a look see. Pretty typical tourist town, more than we've seen so far. Not our favourite thing, but wandering around the old quarter at the bottom of the castle was enjoyable. First to the top of the castle for the views...

See all the old volcanic peaks? 

We walked out to see this gate thing that the island uses as its signature icon, but I've got to say that they falked it putting back together as nothing, but nothing lines up. I think they just took some of the remaining large pieces and made a portal out of it. But hey, it sells well and it looks great against the blue sky and water.

And the gate did exist once upon a time. 

Any way, we had a fun time in town...

I will say that the old town area is quite nice, and in the early afternoon when most are on the beach, it's quiet and with a light breeze very pleasant. 

Hey Ken, I see you found where I'm posting this time...can't keep a good mate down! These next two are for you.



And then it was lunchtime again. Cold drinks and a light meal in a great little cafe.

Clearly someone was having fun today!

Then a little more wandering and shopping....

...and home in a hot bus for a cool swim in the Med and an even colder beer on our deck! 

I'm sitting down on the main floor while I write this outside across from the router as it's the best place to get wifi. I'm covered in slt from the swim and a shower is in order if the ladies are done. Then we do it all over again...a sunset, a walk in the twilight to find a restaurant and then home to get a few hours sleep the off to see the island tomorrow. It's a tough life!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you got the blog working! I wonder what the problem was?

Another lovely day. Great photos of cats--I guess they're pretty feral?

Ken

Unknown said...

The cats in Greece used to be mostly feral. Before the 2004 Olympics, Athens came under huge criticism for rounding up the cats and destroying them in mass. Many of the cats in this village seemed pretty good, and we saw them go in and out of shops, etc. On Naxos we did see one very large colony as we walked out through the countryside for dinner. A long standing tradition here.


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova