Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Athens, Hot & Humid, 30

Of Risogalo and Refelctions!

Sunset last night. We told the taverna owner that we were just attending his establishment to enjoy drinks and to watch the sunset. Then bread arrived, and we watched the sunset. We didn't touch the bread and when we paid our bill and left the fellow's boss was questioning him about how we got away. Ah, isn't Greece fun! We ate Italian last night...yup I know. Don't ask.

After dinner we dropped Kathy back to the apartment to take a phone call from Bob and then walked to the harbour. We wandered the back streets and found some prints by the photographer that Erin and I had 'discovered' in 2003...those prints have graced our kitchen and guest room ever since. I wish I'd taken them and I look at them every day...love them.

We found another series of his work and after purchasing a tube to carry them home I figured that it would be too long to put in my carry on size pack. So late night I walked downstairs and asked our hosts if they had a sharp knife available to cut down the tube. They said that they didn't, however, eye knew the knife smith down the way and he might be able to help. Cosmos walked me there and he asked if they could help. Turned out it wasn't a problem, and we soon found ourselves in his workshop. I asked about all the knife shops, and was told that historically all Cretian men have a knife. This gent was the next in a long line of knife makers with the skills passed down father to son. I was told he's the best knife maker in the region. Each knife has a poem engraved into it that the knife maker writes. There is a special name for this profession, but I can't remember it. In any event, he taped the tube at the correct place, a true professional, and cut it with his band saw. Then he plained the outside clean and sanded the inside of the thick tube wall. I offered him cash for his time and he put his arm around me and said "no, this is how it's done in Greece". A very good experience and a good memory. Did I say that I've really enjoyed Crete? 
It finally happened!!! Risogalo! Real risogalo! Found in a small cafe in the heart of Athens old town. There must be a little Greek grandma around here somewhere? So happy after only finding the industrial versions in the markets. 

This morning was an early start in order to catch the bus out to the airport located a ways out of town over by the monastery we visited on our last day with the rental car. The security was pretty basic and no one even looked at our passports until we were boarding. The plane left late, but somehow arrived early? We are still trying to figure that one out. They began serving drinks and before they were half way through that process the pilot announced that we were beginning our final approach into Athens. The stewards seemed puzzled and started quickly handing out cookies, no drinks to the rest of us. Actually quite comical. Equally comical was the boarding process. We took a loading bus to the plane parked on the runway and were loaded through the front and rear doors. You'd be surprised, maybe you wouldn't, at the number of folks who got on the front of the plane only to find that they had to walk against traffic all the way to the rear of the plane, and visa versa! It was comical relief:)

Anyway a few nice views from the window after we were airborne. Leaving Chania and Greece behind.

Hello Athens!

We arrived and this time it was much easier finding our way into Athens. While killing time on the metro ride we reminisced about how difficult the first day had been. Having to change flights in Vancouver, arriving late with just a very short time to get to our Milos ferry. If any one of 4 or 5 things had happened, we never would have made it to our ferry in time. As it was, we arrived with just minutes to spare. Fun to reflect on now, not quite as much fun at the time.

Today we went for a walk around the base of the Acropolis , along the walking road they built in 2003 as part of the preparations for the 2004 Olympics. Erin and I walked it just after they completed it. All the sculptures have been removed and it's looking pretty run down now. Sort of the story of Athens since the economic debacle of 2008. The walls and buildings are heavily tagged with graffiti. But more on that later. Today was about walking to the Tower of Winds where many in the family have some history. Many photos have been taken there in 1975, 1981 and 2003. Strangely not a single one of me?! the first in 1975.

The second in 1981.

And then again in 2003.

Oh, I just found a photo of me in 2003! Erin took it with my camera.

We took a few more today to add to the collection.



Lots more to come from Athens. We've finished our beautiful bottle of white Peloponnese wine and potato chips and it's time to find a place for dinner. Hope you are all well. We are having a pretty fine time here! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found good rice pudding--I think that's what you're eating, isn't it?


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova