Sunday, February 8, 2015

Auckland: 27C...quite nice!

Sister cities?

One of the reasons I have been draw to New Zealand is as a result of a a presentation a classmate made in grade 10 comparing Nelson New Zealand with Nelson  B.C. My turn. Over the last few days I've been struck by the similarities between Auckland and Victoria...in my eyes Auckland can be seen as a big sister to Victoria, being somewhat larger, and a Federal rather than a Provincial capital. For those of you who know how much I love my home town this is high praise for Auckland. We have only touched on what this city has to offer, but what we've seen has been well worth it for two slightly jet lagged travellers. As I noted a couple of days ago, Mt. Eden  compares quite nicely to Mt. Doug, and the park that surrounds the museum compares nicely to Beacon Hill. The Harbour is much larger and active than ours, but is still the hub and point of access for a variety of outdoor, ocean based activities, as well as the launch point for ferries transporting people to a variety of islands. Auckland is much hillier than Victoria, having so many volcanoes shaping it...which means that In walking the city we definitely got our exercise. Eating out is much more expensive here (a theme that will likely be repeated numerous times while we're in New Zealand) and it's intriguing because groceries are generally quite comparable (which makes our approach of using apartments and camper vans sensible). 

Based on this summary, I vote we make Victoria and Auckland sister cities.

For those interested in our walk today, you simply need to jump over to the Camino blog where Geoff has been busy. Cheers! 

No comments:


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova