You Meet Some Nice People!
Woke to find Annemarie not feeling herself today, so at her insistence I connected with Scott who agreed to drive up from the coast and pick her up. The real insistence by Annemarie was that I continue on to complete the A2O. The past three days had been rough and Annemarie handled it very well, but overnight her body made a few decisions for her. So tonight she is enjoying a very nice B&B in Oamaru with great hosts who have invited her to dinner tonight and offered to drive her around.
Good decision by Annemarie as the day started with a very steep climb to the top of a major dam! Somehow I managed to gut it out to the top, but others later told me that they had walked up. You can walk up?
I was joined at the top by Robyn and Nigel. We peddled really fast off (at least it felt like it) down to the lake (just as steep going down, but not as far of course) and along it for a time. However, you know what they say about being a third wheel. I guess there's a pun there somewhere?
So I peddled on and connected briefly with Adrian from Sydney, Australia who we'd met earlier, but it seems that I dropped him too...not sure how that happened, but I always wanted to say that. I found my rhythm today and I really just wanted to ride like I walk...alone. Besides, I was on a bit of a mission for Annemarie, to take enough photos to give her some idea of the route. The scenery was very nice along the lake.
The only downside was all the road kill wallabies along the lake road...I counted 14. Some were recently deceased, others not so much, so the air was pretty ripe in some spots! No photos...you're welcome;-)
The ride was all paved road today. Nice for my back side, but it will be nice when they are in a position to upgrade this section. They are sourcing $1.8 million to make this happen and my hostess tonight sits on the regional board...she will also be after the authorities to deal with the road kill!
The back side of the lake had low traffic, but after the lakes I was on the main highway most of the day where the speed limit is 100kph and the roads narrow. The twin tandem trucks and wandering large caravans made for an interesting ride, but I made it safely to my lunch break at Kurow where I enjoyed an egg and ham quiche again today...yum!! Lots of protein to take me home the last 23 kms, also on the highway. Here is a shot of wee Kurow...
If you've followed my Camino blog, you'll know that I like cows. They always look at me like they have something to say! The locals are less than happy that the dairy cows have moved into their neighbourhood as there is an impact to the environment and a major use of water to keep the land green for them. I understand that they don't have quite the same dairy quota system here, so unlike Canada where it's a license to print money, it's not quite the same here.
Speaking of Camino...
I also was able to stop to view this amazing cliff face. This is a sacred Maori area with some pretty good rock art.
where I found my home for the night. A very nice place in the country all on my own. The owners live elsewhere in the area.
Even the bar is only open 3 days per week, today not being one of those days! My hostess learned that I was looking for a beer and she went to her house and brought me back two! How nice was that?! Love the people down here! She told me that I should plan to move down for next season and work for Scott...hmmm.
I have been provided with fresh veggies and fruit from the garden...hey it's summer here! So I guess I'll make some dinner and drink that last beer!
Last stage tomorrow 55 kms, but apparently it's a bit sneaky with several stiff climbs...oh well. Good weather at 23 and moving to 29 at Christchurch where we will be for the weekend. A good bed awaits and a day to recover sitting on a bus...my butt will really like that. Not!
Funny discovery today. After riding for 5 of the last 6 days, I found that when I walked to the village to meet friends at the closed bar that walking seemed awfully strange. My leg muscles had experienced some not so subtle changes. I'll have to fix that before we get to Oz next week and start tramping there!
Annemarie has emailed me that she is comfortable and feeling pampered, so all is moving forward.

























3 comments:
Got a little bit worried.
Good to hear that Annemarie is okey.
Brave Geoff to go solo.
Thank you again for the amazing pictures and for telling your stories.
Enjoy your trip.
Puck
What was for dinner in the end?
The flying pigs made me laugh...and the church looked so out of place to me...but none the less..very grand. Nice job with the selfie too!
Post a Comment