Today we left perhaps the best b&b I've ever stayed in...and know how much we get around, that's saying something. Our stay at Oamoru had been arranged as part it the cycle trip (they rented us the bikes, transported us to the start point, and arranged all of the accommodations along the way). This was all done by a fledgling company called Trail Adventures run by Scott and Dee Ann Fitzgerald...all of the accommodations were exactly right for us, and Scott went out of his way for us several times, not the least of which was coming to get me (a five hour round trip for him that also cost him a flat tire) when I got sick. This custom made trip was perfect because they take the time and make the effort to connect on a personal level.
The b&b is called Oasis on Orwell, hosted by Liz and Dave Clare. I use the word host purposefully...they don't just run the place, they welcome their guests into their home, and pay attention to every detail of your experience while there. When I arrived, they knew I wasn't feeling well, so got me settled, set me up with tea and a slice, offered to drive me anywhere I might need to go, and left me to rest. Just as I was about to pull myself together so that I could go find something light for dinner, Dave knocked on the door and invited me to join them for dinner. Not really feeling like venturing out, I gladly took them up on their offer...and what a dinner it was. Liz is an exceptional cook, and put together a roast chicken dinner, complete with stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, broccoli, potatoes, and roasted root vegetables. Everything was done to perfection so that even my queasy stomach couldn't resist. They offered wine as well, but I did decline that:). They kept the conversation flowing, and before I knew it, it was time for bed.
I learned through that dinner discussion that in addition to having the B&B, Dave works part time with a small community agency called the Waitaki Resource Recovery Trust, where as he put it, they "recycle" people...helping those most vulnerable in the community to again become contributing members. They both also work at a community garden, where again those most vulnerable (often those in trouble with the law) do community service, and are able to see a positive impact from their work.
When Geoff arrived the next day, he got a ride back to the B&B with Scott, then settled in for his own rest. Dave is passionate about all that Oamoru has to offer, and invited us several times to watch the video that documents the history of the town (quite interesting, it turns out). Geoff was resting, so I watched the video, then at their invitation joined them in their garden for a glass of wine ... And Geoff later was hosted to a beer. As Geoff and I were discussing dinner options, Dave chimed in with an offer to drive us to the best local fish and chips place. He called to ensure they would still be open when we arrive, then we all hopped into their van for a drive down the coast (with many local sites pointed out along the way) to a very tasty, laughter filled dinner out together. We felt we had made new friends, and it's obvious that Dave and Liz go this kind of extra mile (pun intended) with many of their guests...so we felt a little awkward allowing them to serve us breakfast. They in turn, brought out an extra treat for Geoff, then after a few hugs, exchanges of email and contact information, took us down to catch our bus.
I commented in an earlier post that the people in the service industry in New Zealand are remarkable, and these last few encounters (not to mention our host here in Christchurch who is happy to drive us to the airport at 4:15a.m. when we leave on Monday) clearly illustrate that. For them, it's all about the people - who they generally treat more as friends than as customers, clients, or even guests.


2 comments:
Hope you're feeling better!
Hope you're feeling better Annemarie (Ken Wilson just comment the same) and hope you can enjoy again the rest of your trip.
Puck
Post a Comment