Friday, October 8, 2010

From the Roof Tops of Marrakesh



Flying down here today listening on the ipod to CS&N sing their well known song “Marrakesh Express”, I thought I might be writing a different note today…something about the souks, the dye vats or the snake charmers. Well, they are all here in spades and we have seen bits and pieces of these wonders and will no doubt see more special things during our visit. However, sitting on the roof of our Riad enjoying the more subtle warmth of the late afternoon sun as it works its way slowly west, I’m drawn to an unexpected pleasure. When first looking across the roof tops (buildings are only allowed to be maximum 2 stories) its easy to see just what there is to see…numerous buildings that look as though they have been cobbled together in a very haphazard manner, which they have, with satellite dishes peppering the view! The roof lines are uneven and the construction materials, methods and building codes would no doubt frighten the toughest western engineer. Yet somehow it works, basically held together by cement, gravity and the strength of the building next door! I remember building houses with dominos when I was a kid and Marrakesh looks something like that, but better!

Initially while looking across the roof tops I found I was enjoying the sounds the many birds were making, and then I realized that the source of the sound was from within the many gardens tucked here and there all over the medina. The more I looked the more of these small oasis’ I started to find, usually consisting of small shady trees and flowering plants, and I suspect small ponds of water. The birds fly past in ever greater numbers as the sun drops lower towards the horizon and they continue their business as the sun finally sets softly on the horizon…the colors are amazing! Locals and visitors alike have found their way to the roof tops just as I have to find respite from the blazing heat of the day and to enjoy the sunset. As I write this, the lights have come on across the medina and the face of the roof tops has change yet again. The first stars have poked out. All that I have watched, enjoyed and recorded has occurred during the past 90 minutes. Just when I think the show has ended, the sun has set and the birds have fallen silent comes the call to prayer. It comes from all directions and seems a fitting end to our first day in Morocco.

Its nearly time to enjoy the meal that the Riad staff is preparing specially for us tonight. Something that I can’t pronounce… even though you know I’ll try! Before we get to enjoy the meal, we have the opportunity to connect with our daughter Caitlin…seriously, one of the great joys of modern travel, in a very old world of roof tops!

1 comment:

glenn Travers said...

Hi Geoff, I am most impressed with your blog entries. It gives me such a clear picture of things that you are seeing and hearing. We look forward to reading your adventures as you continue your travels in Spain. I emagine that it will be equally fasinating. Missing both of you. Hurry home. Love Mom


Pumukkale Sunset

Kayaking at Kekova