It is true what they say...all good things do come to an end. I'm back at home and waiting for the balance of my brain cells to find their way back to this time zone...I think they are somewhere close to making landfall on the east coast!
Turkey...it just doesn't disappoint. Each time I've visited I'm humbled by the genuine hospitality and how visitors are treated, as they should be...as welcome guests. We had many memorable experiences, enjoyed sunsets, learned to appreciate the 'call to prayer' (even at 4:15AM!) and visited some amazing historical sites. However, my best memories will remain the people I had the good fortune to meet and to share time with. Mustafa and his family in Goreme, Cappadocia - I already miss our early morning conversations on the top floor of your pension over a hot cup of tea long before other house guests found their way up to breakfast. We spoke of many topics and shared perspectives about the regional geopolitical situation and future possibilities for Turkey. We shared family histories. We laughed (a lot) as we watched the balloon tours drift by each morning (not about the balloons...impressive!). Your knowledge about Cappadocia is extensive and was always appreciated. The upper sun deck was a welcome refuge at the end of a long day of trekking and exploration. However, I still don't understand how you managed to train your grape vines to grow 2 stories to the top floor of your pension where their annual growth provides shade for your Turkish lounging area!
There were the young boys in Ihlara who enjoyed trying to show us the hidden route into the Ihlara Valley canyon. We enjoyed the hilarious negotiations for your services and how you kept under-cutting the price. We never did find our way into the canyon at this location, but we both took away some very humorous memories of our excursions through your village and our discussions about all things football. Not bad English language skills to boot...much better than my Turkish efforts. Well worth the 1 lira fee paid to each of our ‘guides’!
Then there was Bilal and his son Hakan who invited us into their Fethiye carpet business for a short visit which turned into the better part of an afternoon. Your hospitality and our wide ranging discussions over tea were greatly enjoyed. Your assurances that you “just wanted to talk” represented a welcome and refreshing variance from the typical entreaties we received in other locations. Your invitation to visit with you and your family in your home on our next visit to Turkey was appreciated. I suspect that we will meet again.
There were many, many other instances of assistance and friendship offered during our trip. Harry (the 'former' carpet salesman), we enjoyed re-connecting with you in Selcuk…thanks again for the ride to Ephesus and later to the ceramic factory. There was the Istanbul waiter who freely passed over the glass partition more than a few hot cups of tea late in the evenings as we sat on the roof top of our pension watching the Asian lights and the continuous passing of ships on the Bosphorus. There always seemed to be someone willing to step forward to assist two strangers from a distant land…with or without language skills…usually a simple smile and thank you was sufficient acknowledgement. I also enjoyed visiting with many other travellers from all over the planet...all on a similar journey...each with different experiences and expectations to freely share.
This is how I will remember our visit to Turkey.
Turkey...it just doesn't disappoint. Each time I've visited I'm humbled by the genuine hospitality and how visitors are treated, as they should be...as welcome guests. We had many memorable experiences, enjoyed sunsets, learned to appreciate the 'call to prayer' (even at 4:15AM!) and visited some amazing historical sites. However, my best memories will remain the people I had the good fortune to meet and to share time with. Mustafa and his family in Goreme, Cappadocia - I already miss our early morning conversations on the top floor of your pension over a hot cup of tea long before other house guests found their way up to breakfast. We spoke of many topics and shared perspectives about the regional geopolitical situation and future possibilities for Turkey. We shared family histories. We laughed (a lot) as we watched the balloon tours drift by each morning (not about the balloons...impressive!). Your knowledge about Cappadocia is extensive and was always appreciated. The upper sun deck was a welcome refuge at the end of a long day of trekking and exploration. However, I still don't understand how you managed to train your grape vines to grow 2 stories to the top floor of your pension where their annual growth provides shade for your Turkish lounging area!
There were the young boys in Ihlara who enjoyed trying to show us the hidden route into the Ihlara Valley canyon. We enjoyed the hilarious negotiations for your services and how you kept under-cutting the price. We never did find our way into the canyon at this location, but we both took away some very humorous memories of our excursions through your village and our discussions about all things football. Not bad English language skills to boot...much better than my Turkish efforts. Well worth the 1 lira fee paid to each of our ‘guides’!
Then there was Bilal and his son Hakan who invited us into their Fethiye carpet business for a short visit which turned into the better part of an afternoon. Your hospitality and our wide ranging discussions over tea were greatly enjoyed. Your assurances that you “just wanted to talk” represented a welcome and refreshing variance from the typical entreaties we received in other locations. Your invitation to visit with you and your family in your home on our next visit to Turkey was appreciated. I suspect that we will meet again.
There were many, many other instances of assistance and friendship offered during our trip. Harry (the 'former' carpet salesman), we enjoyed re-connecting with you in Selcuk…thanks again for the ride to Ephesus and later to the ceramic factory. There was the Istanbul waiter who freely passed over the glass partition more than a few hot cups of tea late in the evenings as we sat on the roof top of our pension watching the Asian lights and the continuous passing of ships on the Bosphorus. There always seemed to be someone willing to step forward to assist two strangers from a distant land…with or without language skills…usually a simple smile and thank you was sufficient acknowledgement. I also enjoyed visiting with many other travellers from all over the planet...all on a similar journey...each with different experiences and expectations to freely share.
This is how I will remember our visit to Turkey.
1 comment:
Sounds like an awesome trip....hope the back to work reality check was okay....Toketie
Post a Comment